Re: Best way to specify font size

__/ [Els] on Sunday 11 December 2005 18:54 \__

> JD wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> What's the best way to specify font size using CSS? I try to avoid
>> absolute units like pt and px because then users can't resize the fonts
>> in IE, but % and em are a complete pain to use IMO. I read somewhere (a
>> W3C tip I think) that the best way is to specify a "base" size and then
>> have all your fonts relative that, but I'm not sure how that works.
>
> What's the pain in using %?
> Just set 100% for <body> (the "base" size), and then use other
> percentages like 85% for small print and 120% for headings, etc.
> Those are indeed relative to the percentage set for the <body>.

Overall, this probably depends on the page in question. There are cases where
the font size should be relative to the screen/window size. In such
circumstances, 'em' should be used. It takes an example to give a proper
answer, in my humble opinion.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
  7:00am  up 1 day 14:08,  18 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.63, 0.57