Re: Screenshots and Virtual Desktops

> Thank  you,  Chris. I guess I never thought about the aspiration  of  this
> desktop  environment to be efficient (KDE is greedy) and thus re-draw ele-
> ments  on  the screen rather than set them aside. Having said  that,  when
> switching  from one desktop to another, the applications sometimes  appear
> immediately,  as does the wallpaper image. It's almost as if not only  are
> the invisible windows kept in RAM, but they also reside in some form of an
> extended frame buffer which can then 'channelled' to the monitor; no pause
> necessary.

Yes, that's perfectly possible; each application (window) can request
of the Window Manager that it's to be given a pixel map in which it can
store its image rather than being expected to redraw it on deman. For
complex images (fractals spring to mind as a pathological example)
this can be a big speed win.

>From within a terminal window, try running xwininfo and then clicking on
one of your other application windows. You'll get a load of information
about that window including its "save under" state.

Chris