Re: Linus carps about GNOME

  • Subject: Re: Linus carps about GNOME
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:07:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Rick] on Wednesday 21 December 2005 03:31 \__

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000486.html

>>>    [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME
>>>
>>>    Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
>>>    Tue Dec 13 13:44:23 PST 2005
>>>
>>> Would that we had such a Window into the technical arguments that go on
>>> at Microsoft.
>>>

>> Think this was on /. a few days back. Sad thing is, the GNOME guys don't
>> seem to think there's a problem and keep crowing on about how they're some
>> sort of 'standard.' Ah, well. It's not like I have to use the POS.
>
> It does seem like a lot of distros are moving to it.
>
> Ah, well, as long as the distros keep including both, I can live with it.

Novell recently made GNOME the default WM in their business desktop offer-
ing (or something to that effect). They give full choice in all other dis-
tributions  although  and give no priority to one over another.  The  rest
seem  to  be going in KDE's directions and hate mail like "die  KDE,  die"
come from frustrated GNOME developers, which let us face, do a decent job.

I'm with KDE. 4 years ago I liked Enlightment.

Roy

PS - I might as well add that GNOME in Ubuntu is more stable, predicatable
and reliable than KDE on SuSE.