Re: How many hits a minute can an average server take?

__/ [Brian Wakem] on Friday 23 December 2005 14:33 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [Brian Wakem] on Friday 23 December 2005 10:46 \__
>
>>> A well powered dedicated server will be able to serve many thousands of
>>> pages a minute.  Ours can serve 300,000 a minute at peak load.
>>

>> Server or serverS? A framework of servers?
>

> Just the 1 server.   Admittedly the 300,000/minute is under absolute ideal
> test conditions.

I would love to see the ventilator that take the 'sweat' off that machine.

>>> What you get for $10/month though may be entirely different.  In the
>>> early days of our business we got kicked off a £50/month shared server
>>> for using almost every CPU cycle on the machine, and we weren't getting
>>> anywhere near the amount of traffic we do now.  But it depends what your
>>> visitors are doing, a large percentage of our users are doing CPU
>>> intensive stuff.
>>

>> to self: what's that site Brian's running...?
>

> I don't want to be accused of advertising, so have a look at number 1 (and
> 2) on google for 'cv search'.  And before anybody says anything, none of
> our pages validate.

Sheesh... no hear; no speak; no talk. *smile*

Feeds are hot these days. I'd recommend adding them at some stage. I get
these from Monster, CWJobs and jobs.ac.uk. Then again, such feeds are not
aimed at recruiters or businesses.