Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows.

  • Subject: Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:12:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Malware Magnet] on Sunday 25 December 2005 15:41 \__

> On 2005-12-25, Bock <electronicmailfixtosend@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well, the best way to describe the difference between windows and linux
>> is that windows is an automatic car and linux is a standard car.

True. Ten years ago.

>> I bought a new computer to install linux as my old computer is just way
>> too small, falling apart and getting to be unstable.
>>
>> I had to buy windows xp loaded.  I turned it on and there was only
>> notepad and wordpad.  Neither of these accessed spell check.  How mean
>> can microsoft be after all the money it has made and given away not to
>> allow people spell check in wordpad?
>>
>> Word never worked with with win98 so i used notepad and simply copied
>> stuff into an email, did a spell check, and copied the corrected version
>> back.   This was a daily reminder why I wanted to say good-bye to
>> microsoft given the chance.

Excellent example which I often make use of.

>> In North America it is impossible to program with Europeans characters
>> under windows.  How narrow minded is that?
>>
>> Windows standardized computers in the beginning thereby encouraging the
>> average person to buy and successfully operate a computer.
>>
>> But there comes a point when companies grow so large they for purposes
>> of survival and power act against the best interests of the market.
>>
>> Linux has and will continue to have it growing pains just like windows
>> did but there is room enough for both.
>>
>> As the world gets closering to some form of war or expsanded war,
>> government reliance on microsoft raises questions in many countries
>> because it is closed source code.
>>
>> Most of us have been waiting 5 years to leave windows/microsoft.

Who is "us"? You mean "I". Many colleagues of mine want to move to Linux, but
they are frightened because of stereotypes, often attributed to redundant
cyberspace trollery and self-defence-type justifications (attack of the
unknown, bashing of potential change).

>> Nobody is talking about windows or microsoft that I know of.  They talk
>> about emails and spam else they talk about linux or they don't ever
>> mention computers because their use is mundane and automatic.
>
> I agree.
> And, with regard to several of the points you make, it is important to
> remember that MS is a business and Linux/OSS is a community (with a few
> exceptions). A community is not subject to the same restrictions and
> constraints than is a business. With a global base of talented, determined
> contributors, Linux can weather any storm and outlast other factions of
> the industry because the goal is progress, not profit.

Regarding the OP's last point: Linux users talk about computers because
people who work with computers and understand them at a low level of
granularity *choose* Linux. To many Windows users, the scope of any computer
is E-mail and Internet Explorer (for Hotmail). Have you recently taken a
look at what Linux users actually try to achieve with their workstation/s or
server/s? They succeed tremendously too. I urge you to explore.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
  6:00pm  up 15 days  1:11,  12 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.06, 1.01