Re: Install Impress?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [Karl S] on Sunday 25 December 2005 18:51 \__

Yvonne wrote:

Yvonne wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

__/ [Dan C] on Saturday 24 December 2005 18:50 \__

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:59:43 +0000, Yvonne wrote:

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to install Impress without
installing
the whole package Open office? I use Mandriva.

You can't do that, AFAIK.

I think so too. This is a self-contained package with plenty of
overlap among
its pertinent modules. Take the variety of graphical objects, for
example.
These is being used in merely all components of OpenOffice, I suspect.

Roy

I have found a beta version of the application here http://www.ntlug.org/~ccox/impress/Download.html.

Yvonne

Hi again!

What I want is an application to read pps-files and I don't like
openoffice since it takes too much recources. It doesn't need to be an
advanced application (for the moment), just a viewer. I also want to get
a presentationsoftware, that doesn't need to be able to read pps-files.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yvonne

As Dough pointed out, there is a viewer, but it's a Windows executable. With the emulation overheads, I don't know if it will be any less of a re- source hog than OpenOffice, sitting on top of Java Runtime Environment. It sounds rather 'on par' to me. I often think of JRE as some form of re- source-greedy platform, which makes development quicker and makes interop- erability a thing of the past.

Other than hard drive space, which is plentiful and cheap these days,
OpenOffice Impress running alone shouldn't take any less of your
computer's resources than installing the entire OpenOffice suite and
then launching only the Impress module. That would give you a suite of
presentation software of sorts, depending on your needs.
Impress also creates pretty good PDF documents.

I couldn't agree more.

I  thought about the possibility of deleting the Writer and Calc  executa-
bles among others. That would only save a mere amount of desk space, which
is  cheap these days. Getting accustomed to OO is worthwhile. Try it. It's
a skill worth acquiring, looking at the long run.

Best wishes,

Roy

I have diskspace, but I am trying to find an perfect package of software for myself and it is not perfect when I have to have software installed that I don't use. Does anyone know where to start, learning to modify and/or create software for linux. Is it C or C++ I should learn? What is the most simple way to get starting? I am pretty new to linux, but this is why I am interesting in it.

Yvonne