Re: Q: Mini Pictures in Address Line

  • Subject: Re: Q: Mini Pictures in Address Line
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:51:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Beauregard T. Shagnasty] on Thursday 29 December 2005 20:00 \__

> Mitja Trampus wrote:
>
>> Mac wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there...
>>>
>>> I am a newbie with dramweaver. I used this software
>>> to create my private page. I'm using Win XP, and
>>> Opera 7.22 for browsing.
>>>
>>> My Question:
>>> How do you create these small pictures in the main bar
>>> of the site? I don't know the precise name for this
>>> picture in any language,
>>
>> It's called "favicon" - google for it.

A more generous answer would have included a link to a favoured source of
information, I guess.

> http://favicon.com/
>
> You can make one with most good graphic editors. Try Irfanview if you
> don't have one, it's free.  http://irfanview.com/
> Do not attempt to use a jpeg or anything other than a real 16x16 pixel
> icon file.  Generally they are named:  favicon.ico

I used Irfanview to achieve this in the past. There are Web-based utilities
though. There have the merit of being available to use from all platforms. I
frequently use:

http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/

> Put the following two lines in the <head> section of your page:
>
> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
> <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
>
> Some browsers don't recognize one line or the other...

Really? I learned something new. Thanks.

By the way, if you wish to have animated favicons, have a look at:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/

I only know of one site apart from mine that does that. It'll become hotter
when it is more widely supported. Firefox et al. at ~10+% is good enough to
justify use.