Re: How do I read referral logs?

__/ [John Bokma] on Saturday 31 December 2005 17:06 \__

>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/referrals-december.jpg
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/referrals-december-2.jpg
>
> Did you already LART freewebtools.com?
>
> Also, you could consider using a mod_rewrite that sends a -F to everything
> containing phentermine, gambling, prozac.
>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/Weblog_Frames/referrer_spam.png ). AWStats
>> manages to set these aside. It's somewhat of a distributed denial of
>> service attack because each of these zombies requests several
>> megabytes of data repeatedly. As a consequence, certain bits of the
>> site remain blocked, even to genuine visitors and search engines.
>> Annoying.
>
> You could try to contact the ISPs of the major culprit(s). Sending emails
> to people with clue does help, and might reduce the shit you get.

Thanks for the suggestions, John. I truly appreciate this.

Several  years ago I promised myself that I would not spend any time  com-
batting  spam because, speaking from experience (only E-mail at the time),
it is often unproductive if not counter-productive. I report spam here and
there,  but  rarely hear anything in return. It seems like talking to  the
wind unless one has lawyers and cash.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/28/ebay_bots_ddos/

For  E-mail, one  recommendation I would have to make is separation of  E-
mail  addresses  (I have about 20) combined with Apache's BoxTrappers  for
public  addresses. SpamAssassin on top seals the deal. As for logs, I tend
to  just look at the number of visits and gave up on most of the rest. In-
stead of contemplating ego boost, I continue to read and write.

Happy new year!