Re: What scientists believe but can't prove

> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8123-1957199,00.html
>
> <snip>
>   ALISON MURDOCH
>   Professor of reproductive medicine
>
>   I believe that life does not begin at conception, but I have no proof. I am
>   an atheist and I believe in the sanctity of life but not that there is a
>   higher spirit up there creating it.
> </snip>

Pity you didn't quote Edzard Ernst's contribution. I would agree with
him totally. I also suspect that what is at work here is the
slipperiness with which we use the word 'belief'. When someone asks you
a specific question about what you believe you will tend to answer using
that word. But it seems to me that what many of the contributors are
articulatiing is not belief but unproven hypotheses, hunches and things
they would like to be true.

Alison Murdoch gives the game away in the end of her piece when she
points out her belief is necessary in someone who works in assisted
conception.

Peter