Re: Is this a sensible blog/rss strategy for SEO?

  • Subject: Re: Is this a sensible blog/rss strategy for SEO?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 05:18:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Clint wrote:

> I started an online speciality art gallery a few months ago and I'm
> interested in starting a blog to help bring in traffic and SEO.

(*) There are better ways of bringing traffic to your site. Is that your
main motivation for starting and maintaining a Web log?

> I was
> thinking of using Blogger.com since it is external to my website. I
> understand that blogs will often rank better than websites because of
> frequent updates in content.

Blogs might be penalised for being blogs in the future (personal opinion).
Being a subsite of blogger makes it more transparent and hence a bad idea.

> In this case, I will use the Blogger.com site
> to link to my own website and hopefully Google will see this as positive
> for outside links.

One site can only give you a limited amount of worthful backlinks. The
question is: will it give you actual (human) link followers?

> Since Blogger.com also has syndication, I'm thinking of using the Atom/RSS
> feed to create a new page on my own website that will be updated whenever
> I post to the blog. Hopefully, Google will see this as positive too since
> my own website will be seen as frequently updated with new content as long
> as I update the blog.

WordPress (wordpress.org) has Atom/RSS feeds too. You can install it on a
site and it's free.

> Is this a sensible strategy for using a blog and syndication to help my
> website?

See (*) again.

> Clint
>
> Free Spirit Gallery