Re: Wireless mouse in an Aircraft

  • Subject: Re: Wireless mouse in an Aircraft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:18:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
©olin wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> cvmupj$23vu$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:cvmupj$23vu$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> ©olin wrote:
>>

>> > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> > You say "of course"? I seem to remember comments about interference
>> > with navigation equipment etc. I certainly remember a steward saying,
>> > after landing, not to switch on mobile phones until the aircraft was
> stationary.
>> > I was just wondering if wireless mice, with short range and perhaps
>> > different frequencies, came into the same category as mobile phones.
>>
>> I think he was being sarcastic.
>>
>> Whether your wireless mouse can crash the plane or not, the flight
>> attendants will not permit you to use it. The videos that they show at
>> the start specificly mention cordless mice as a risk factor.
>>
>> To say more on the issue, flight attendants have developed a phobia for
>> anything that is technological. They will most likely ask you not to use
>> a Palm, an iPod or a digital video player. They cut you some slack only
> after
>> takeoff and before landing.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy Schestowitz
>> http://schestowitz.com
>
> Thanks for the sensible answer. When you say "They cut you some slack only
> after
>> takeoff and before landing." Does this include the flight inbetween? Does
> this "slack" include using a cordless mouse? I still need to decide
> whether I need to buy a corded mouse.
> Colin

I am pretty sure that the answer is no. They have no tolerance for cellular
devices, cordless mice or anything else that can broadcast or receive
signals (I should emphasise /receive/).

have a look at the following which is rather amusing:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=907

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com