Re: A stupid question

  • Subject: Re: A stupid question
  • From: "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:01:34 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.matlab
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
cs23u4$171u$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:cs23u4$171u$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Yes, it is much slower, but that's the inevitable disadvantage of using
> high-level programming languages. It's a trade-off between abstraction,
> i.e. ease of development and the resulting speed.

In the case of Matlab, I'd say it's slow mainly because of the way it's
interpreted.  C++ is arguably as 'high level' or even higher than Matlab
(C++ having far more powerful object-oriented features, but Matlab having
better handling of multiple arguments and return values, for instance...),
yet it's much faster than equivalent Matlab code.