Re: SEO Rules for Blogs & RSS

  • Subject: Re: SEO Rules for Blogs & RSS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:35:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Ergobob wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> cs8mgc$2ooq$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:cs8mgc$2ooq$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> Ergobob wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> People had alluded to SEO using Blogs and RSS Feeds from time to time.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone has thought about linking strategies for each
>>> of
>>> them?
>>>
>>> I setup a Blog and RSS Feed at www.usernomics.com/blog/blog.html . My
>>> strategy was to host the Blog on my site vs. Blogger's site and to place
>>> links to my three website landing pages for every article posted. The
>>> logic is to include those links on each RSS article when it gets picked
>>> up.
>>>
>>> Does this make sense and does anyone have a logical strategy for Blogs
>>> and
>>> RSS Feeds?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> What your strategy implies is that many links should depart from your one
>> blog and reach the same sites, again... and again. I know that you will
>> need a variety of domains to link to your pages in order for the links to
>> become valuable.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy Schestowitz
>> http://schestowitz.com
>

> Hello Roy,
>
> I should have mentioned that the title of each article links to the
> original source.

Yes, but the notion of title is not evaluated more highly, unless the link
is bold, or large in font size... (and often that's not valid HTML).

>The links to my website are at the bottom of each post in
> the form of "For more information ...... "

Crawlers like Google will just aggregate all of these links and consider
them to be related ones.

> So every article does link to someone else. It is the links to my landing
> pages for every article that I thought was needed so the links would then
> appear with each RSS post. The alternative is to list those links one time
> on the right of the Blog. But, the RSS Feed would not pick up the links.

WordPress, for example, integrates the link into a fixed menu in all pages.
Crawlers pick up the links every time a page is scanned. Maybe you should
put effort into finding the right tools which place all the links
automatically.

> Does that make sense?

There is no magic trick to gaining PR. If there was, then the millions 'out
there' would have exploited it. As a measure of caution, computer engineers
adapt the ranking system according to wrong-doing and exploitations. If
not, bad results are returned, as in the case of domain spamming, links
farms, etc.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com