I've got this picture:
and I want to select only the bird on the picture.
How should I do, to do it simply with Gimp.
selection tools aren't too simple, rather sophisticated.
There are many steps to get it:
* Take the "fuzzy select" for the main part of the background.
* Keep the Left-Shift key pressed to add more to the selection
by clicking around. Watch out for the small "+" sign at the
cursor while doing this
* In case of erraneous selection press "undo". You may exclude
partrs of the current selection by pressing Left-Ctrl. Watch
out the small "-" sign while doing this.
* You may mix any number of selection tools together, so you
can add big areas to the selection by using the "lasso"
At this point you might have most of everything except the bird
selected. Now invert the selection, so the bird should mostly be
within the selection. Now zoom much into it and follow the contours
carefully with including or excluding parts at the edges.
* Use the "intelligent scissors" tool and klick along the edges
of the bird. Take care to set the click points near enough
so that the automatism shows a good approximation of the
outline. The final dot (click) should be the same as the
* At this point you should see a lot of points and interpolated
lines following the outline of the bird.
* Now *click* once within this dotted outline and immediately
the dotted outline should turn into a selection (marching ants).
* Finetune the selection with other selection tools and Left-Shift
Hoping my words are clear enough ;-)