Re: telemarketing vs. spam

  • Subject: Re: telemarketing vs. spam
  • From: "Tony" <tony23.no@dslextreme.com.spam>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:46:12 -0700
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Who is to say that telemarketing is /morally/ legal?

Actually, it's become somewhat limited in the US anymore, with the national
"do not call" list and a number of comparable state lists as well.

>The authorities
> have become more lenient about it because there is a person talking
> who is involved

What authorities? How have they "become" more lenient?

>-- someone who must make a living. I bet it started
> with individuals who politely phoned before it became a heavy
> production line and systematic industry where people are employed on
> a fixed rate (plus bonuses).
>
> With spam, on the other hand, whatever the conversion rates, only
> robots (read: servers) are involved. Humans can never cope with the
> productivity of robots. Imagine yourself the impact of spam becoming
> legal.

Best I can tell, in most places spam IS legal - at least, there are not a
lot of specific laws AGAINST it.

BTW, have you never been called by a recording?

--
Tony Garcia
Web Right! Development