Re: XHTML ?

  • Subject: Re: XHTML ?
  • From: John Bokma <john@castleamber.com>
  • Date: 13 Jul 2005 16:22:14 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Borek <borek@parts.bpp.to.com.remove.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:25:30 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> If anything, pages written in XHTML will sometimes be larger, which
>> slows down crawling (by 1%?). *grin*
>
> In fact most of the pages are NEVER optimized for size. Google uses
> one-letter names in their styles to cut on the traffic, but then the
> text  is formatted using <font color=#008000> tags :) That's abuse of
> resources.

One story has it that Google's website looks so simple because the
developers had no clue about HTML/webdesign. Maybe it's still showing ;-)

> Same happens throughout the web. Probably many services will be able
> to  cut the traffic in half (and cut on the traffic costs) just by
> clever HTML  coding.

better: quite some browsers can handle gzipped web pages, and Apache can
use mod_gzip (if I recall the name correctly), and send those browsers the
HTML pages (amongst others) compressed :-)

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                 Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/