Re: What happened to Lenna ?

  • Subject: Re: What happened to Lenna ?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:29:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
francois.boutines@free.fr wrote:

> According various sources,
>
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~chuck/lennapg/lena_std.tif
>
> is the original uncompressed Lenna test image.
>
> There's something really strange about it between (220;33) and (491;33)
> in the blue channel.
>
> 6 values of 8/255 whereas blue starts around 39/255 every where else in
> the picture.
>
> Moreover, the 5 first scan lines seem duplicated.
>
> Would it be a part of the test ?

I had a post with an almost identical title in July 1st (
http://www.schestowitz.com/Vision/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22
).  I can see what you mean now that I look at the original image.
Considering the date of this picture, it's unlikely to have been
airbrushed, but who is to say that it hasn't been modified or enhanced
since. Are you suggesting that some conspiracy was bound to make some
algorithms fail? or conversely, maybe it was added for testing robustness?