Re: Syncronising with Multiple Desktops

  • Subject: Re: Syncronising with Multiple Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:19:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:26:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> was understood to have stated the
> following:
>
>>David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:01:08 GMT, "jm7" <not_real_address@ht.com> was
>>> understood to have stated the following:
>>>
> <snip>
>>>
>>> Fast and Slow Synchronization
> <snip>
>>
>>You hit two bird with one stone. This explains why I sometimes get a
>>slower HotSync process. My Windows 98 laptop is used for HotSync and it
>>only has 32 megabytes of RAM, which gives you a rough idea of the need for
>>efficiency. It wasn't long ago that I disabled synchronisation of all
>>applications apart from a few that I actively use.
>
> Disabling synchronization of unused applications is a decent idea. In
> my case I want all the information synced. I've always synced with my
> work PCs as well as my home PCs. The first thing I do when I power up
> is hotsync, and that's the last operation I perform before I shut
> down. If I had a laptop I would sync with it, but part of the appeal
> of a PDA is not having to lug a laptop with. :-D

I prefer to HotSync while I am away from the computer. The whole process is
too verbose. The only bit that matters -- the error log -- disappears after
a minute and this timeout cannot be altered unfortunately. It takes between
30 seconds to a minute to synchronise depending on the remaining load that
the system is subjected to. The advantage of having a laptop is that you
can synchronise even when you travel. I have a backup card, but it's
terrifying to rely on because it's free software and I never put it to the
test before (luckily enough).

>>> As another person mentioned, if you want to minimize your first sync
>>> at a computer that's different than the last one you've synced with,
>>> set the actions (BUT NOT THE DEFAULTS!) of EACH of the conduits to
>>> "Handheld  overwrites desktop." Of course, make sure there are no
>>> edits on the "new" desktop that you want to keep, because they most
>>> certainly will be lost.
>>

>>This appears to offer an unsafe solution that is troublesome over the long
>>run. I suggest that the OP learns to tolerate the slow HotSync or give up
>>one of the synchronisation nodes (desktops). Multiple desktops are better
>>off avoided where possible, also when it comes to general filesystem
>>management. Bookmarks, domains, E-mail and so forth likewise.
>
> I've experienced where making massive edits to your PIM data on one
> desktop can be disastrous on your next "sync." Made some massive edits
> to my memos on one machine, hot synced, then went to the next machine,
> and after the hotsync everything was unfiled. Now when I make these
> types of "massive edits" I *always* make sure I set the memo conduit
> to "handheld overwrites desktop" on the soon-to-be slow sync'ed
> machine. Other than that, I haven't seen any drawbacks to
> synchronizing to multiple PCs.

What about data backups for example? I know it's idiotic, but I very much
care about these despite the fact I never access them.

> I also regularly carry about a 40gig USB powered laptop drive
> (fortunately it's almost *exactly* the same size as my T|3) between a
> wide number of PCs; managing files on multiple desk tops can be an
> interesting endeavor. My "main" data sets, if you will, is on that
> drive, and I've got a number of servers set up to run off of it on
> whatever PC I load it for, just should I get the hankerin' for some
> client/server development. :-D

That choice of a central drive is a wise one. I luckily sit on a 100Mbit
network so I can afford to mirror my entire hard-drive twice a week and
hence never worry about data loss. I also use SSH to work on a single
machine (virtually) even though I work from 3 different sites including
home. I used to spend /way/ too much mental and practical effort trying to
'synchronise' stuff. I needn't worry about that again.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com