Re: IBM biometric security system with built-in fingerprint reader

  • Subject: Re: IBM biometric security system with built-in fingerprint reader
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:11:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
geletine wrote:

> If someone was to remove the hardisk from the laptop and place it in
> another laptop the security has disapperard , aless there have encryped
> the filesystem.
> Or does the harddrive rely on the biometric fingerprint reader to
> function?

If you are talking about IBM's T42 notebooks, then you probably talk about
the Linux fingerprint-based _authentication_, not _key_. This means that
you can deny access based on some fingerprint data. Whether that data is
stored on the hard-drive or at hardware-level is a the big question. If you
could encrypt the filesystem and use your fingerprint to decrypt it, then
you'd have the security that you are talking about. I suspect it isn't so
unfortunately. Use a USB key instead.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com