Re: Case Insensitivity Issues

  • Subject: Re: Case Insensitivity Issues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:09:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.www.webmaster, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> said:
>
>> Hi gurus,
>
> Gurus isn't in today. Can I help? :-)

*LOL*

>> Admittedly, I have an unhealthy habit of beginning all directory names
>> with a capital letter. For quite some time I have noticed that I get a
>> few error as a result, probably due to case insensitive software
>> (crawlers/browsers).
>
> Sounds like maybe someone has linked to your page from another site
> (good!) with the wrong case (bad!).

That's an interesting possibility, but I looked at the logs and I suspect it
comes from Google as referrals. I will recheck because I suspect you might
be right. If people copy-and-paste addresses though, it is unlikely that
conversion to lowercase will be involved.

>> -Any other solution I could think of will involve duplicate pages, which
>> I would probably get penalised for.
>
> Use .htaccess to redirect from the incorrect addresses to the correct
> addresses. Something like:
>
> RedirectPermanent /incorrect /Correct

I thought about it many times, but there are too many pages involved. I
can't think of an easy way of automating this either. Addition by scripting
would lead to explosive .htaccess growth.

Anyway, I'll check the logs again.

Thanks very much for the time,