Re: Weird sound... hard drive?

  • Subject: Re: Weird sound... hard drive?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:41:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops, uk.comp.sys.laptops
higgy wrote:

> "Morten Lundstrøm" wrote:
>
>>>I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot
>>>like
>>> the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and
>>> er... "plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in use
>>> (i.e. when I'm web browsing or running an application, but not when
>>> the machine is sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume control
>>> or turning the speakers off. It's even happened in the bios - so that
>>> rules out any system
>>> sound.
>>>
>>> The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the
>>> harddrive? There is usually a brief flurry of the usual HD sounds
>>> when the "plunky ding" occurs. Anyone ever experience anything like
>>> this?
>>>
>>> The drive is a Seagate Momentus ST960821A and I've ran a full
>>> diagnostic with SeaTools and not uncovered anything.
>>
>> Well usually that kind of sounds are extremely unhealthy if it's a
>> harddrive causing them... I'm pretty convinced that SeaTools would
>> have discovered the error if there were any as I have used it to
>> diagnose a couple of harddrives with weird defects.
>>
>> I'd install a SMART monitor if I were you (If it's supported that is)
>> and keep an eye on it :-)
>
> I've got speedfan installed which gives smart info - not reporting any
> problems as of yet.
>
> I almost wish it would fall over and die - I don't fancy go back to the
> vendor and saying "erm... it's making this odd ding"! A dead HD would be
> more convincing.

First thing to do is back up your hard-drive and make a copy whenever you
create a new file. Your hard-drive is not in a healthy state so don't let
it infect you and ruin your day.

If the hard-drive is not an expensive high capacity device, then consider
upgrading. Clunking noises are often the beginning of the end, and if not
the end, they will take away your time and perhaps a few heart beats when
the computer refuses to boot up.

I have lost 2 hard-drives with my current Presario laptop and I currently
use the third. Clunking was often the only signal which I needed to prevent
data loss. In the first incident, back in 2001, I had to back-up from DOS,
which was unpleasant, incomplete and very time-consuming. I now mirror my
hard-drive twice a week, check data integrity, and visually confirm the
differences between newer and older mirrors. My past experiences have made
me paranoid.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com