Re: Curious, starting out in SEO

  • Subject: Re: Curious, starting out in SEO
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:42:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Ramza Brown wrote:

> I am starting out with SEO, not for a product, but getting my
> information out there and plus, the google adwords seems a little
> pricey, from what I hear?

If you don't plan to sell anything, AdWords will be unnecessarily pricy. The
first stage is to get some mutual (on topic) links and deserved links such
as existing affiliations (work, university, discussion groups...).

> My first question, I am sure a lot of SEO involves more than writing;

It is a mixture of things.

> on
> the technical side, how do you get your URL so that others link to you.

Zeldman once said that if you make your site look better, you will attract
more visitors and subsequently get linked to. I tend to abide with that
approach. More and more people bookmark and link to pages as your site ages
and matures.

> Off topic question, can you link google-groups forums through NNTP, I am
> anti GG now.

...tell this to the guy who has been attacking alt.www.webmaster for almost
a week. His attacks are driven by hatred towards Google Groups and he
decided to get even in alt.www.webmaster...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com