Re: Need: Looking for a free program to track site position

  • Subject: Re: Need: Looking for a free program to track site position
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:11:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
ted wrote:

> Before I go and do this on excel and waste a great deal of time I
> thought I'd ask here:
>
> Does anyone know of a *free* resource that would keep track of a sites
> position for any search engine.

Get a feeds aggregator. Then, tailor some RSS feeds as follows:

For Google:

http://www.benhammersley.com/tools/googlerss.cgi?q=[TERM1]%20[TERM2]

Replace [TERM1..2] with keywords

Note that you _may_ get duplicate results because it is a third-party
solution (a hack)

---

For Yahoo:

I suspect that they still only allow you to create feeds for news. For what
it's worth:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/rss?p=[TERM1]+[TERM2]&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&x=wrt

Replace [TERM1..2] with keywords

Have a look around their sites as they only _very_ recently decided to
support normal searches as RSS feeds

---

M$N:

http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=[TERM1]+[TERM2]&format=rss

Replace [TERM1..2] with keywords

This one appears to work most reliably

> I've been tracking my sites placement on yahoo for a few weeks...making
> changes...waiting for it to be crawled again...noting any changes in
> site ranking...then tweaking and waiting again...
>
> I'd like a site that does this automatically. One that at the very
> least keeps a log of what position my site held on a given date for
> keyword(s) x.

The following tool will do it.

http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Google_Cron/

If you work in Windows, you might need Cygwin installed.

> (#107 on Yahoo for keyword "XYZ ABC" for example)
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz