Re: The PDA and the Cellphone

  • Subject: Re: The PDA and the Cellphone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:59:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Arthur Hagen wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> Arthur Hagen wrote:

>>> That's looking at it the wrong way.  The market of people who don't
>>> have a PDA is /much/ bigger than the market of people who don't have
>>> a cell phone.
>>
>> ...Yet many people with a cellphone will be willing to 'upgrade' their
>> cellphone and get a PDA at the same time. Two birds, one stone.
>> Having said that, I might as well mention that a standalone PDA might
>> appeal to less people because it means carrying two devices.
>
> It does?  You seem to believe that everybody has a cell phone.  It might
> seem that way to you, but in large parts of the world *including the
> Palm home market*, cell phones are not ubiquituous.  And even where most
> people seem to have one, there are plenty of people who don't want one
> or can't have one, or at least not a phone with a camera, which includes
> *all* pda/phone combinations.
>
> Regards,

You are mistaken here as I have a real apathy for cellular phones. They were
recently said < http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/250705_tech.htm > to
cause eye damage as well as what we already know about risk of brain
tumours. The long-term effects are yet to be seen.

I read some months ago that the number of cellphones in the EU has become
outrageous. I am not entirely sure about the States, especially when
compared with Asia and other developed parts of the world (assuming we
speak of places with potential high penetration rate for PDA sales).
However, many people who require a PDA also require a phone because of the
nature of their job. You can't discount that altogether.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com