Re: Link Address Visibility

  • Subject: Re: Link Address Visibility
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:40:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Spartanicus wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there a CSS-driven way of diplaying the link address near links
>>(without the use of JavaScript)? Is there a CSS hack of some sort?
>
> Proper CSS, no "hack":
>
> @media print{
> a:after{content: " <"attr(href)">"}
> }

That's excellent!

> Does not work in IE due to poor CSS support.

The most common browser on my site is Mozilla Firefox (based on ~35k
visits/month). I already use some :before and :after elements. If they get
neglected, nothing is lost

>>I would like to
>>embed full URL's near the links in a printable version of a page (and in a
>>printed version links cannot be followed).
>
> I'd rethink that strategy, it tends to make a mess of printed pages and
> the functionality offered is most questionable.

When I think about it, long links (of which I tend to have some) will cause
problems indeed, much as they do in UseNet. I think I'll go ahead anyway...
maybe down-scaling link text once it becomes an issue...

Many thanks,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com