Re: Feedburner Redirect?

  • Subject: Re: Feedburner Redirect?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:27:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
ergobob wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an RSS Feed running though FeedBurner.com. They now have an option
> to "host your own" feed with your URL.
>
> Without realizing what I was doing at the beginning, I have my feed
> pointing to their URL. Now I want to change that to my URL to get the link
> benefit when the feed shows up on a Feed Reader or Directory.
>
> I would like to use their "host your own" service so I don't have to
> contact all the existing directories, readers, etc. to change the URL.
>
> I assume that they will do this with a redirect. So the question is if
> they do a redirect, and my URL is now active, will the links benefit go to
> my URL or their original page with their URL?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

They will need to re-direct propely with a valid status code... 302 or
whatever it was. You need to make sure that the re-direct will be honoured
by all search engines (notion of /all/ and /honoured/ is loosely-defined).
I must warn you that even when done properly, this can lose you ranks. A
friend of mine shifted between domains and did everything "according to the
books". Yet, he had a PR0 down from PR4 and he is now back to PR3 (after 6
months or so despite many new links from my site).

Redirections will practically be helpful if you want the visits to reach
your own 'arena'. Whether you can rely on them when it comes to ranks, I
doubt it...

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com