Re: Link Icons: How do they get there?

  • Subject: Re: Link Icons: How do they get there?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:18:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Andy Dingley wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:15:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>>This is the nature of Internet Explorer, which I assume you are using. If
>>you want the icons to appear permanently, upgrade to Mozilla Firefox.
>
> Firefox has been known to lose them too.
>
> I suspect that they're refreshed on re-accessing that bookmark. If the
> site fails to serve the icon, then the cached copy gets discarded.
> There's a site I use a few times a day, a busy site with obvious server
> load trouble, and the icon on that practically flashes on and off.

I thought about it a little further today. In principle, as long as you keep
a back-up of the profile's bookmarks.html file, you should never find
yourself losing any icons. Icons are bound to entries in this
Netscape-styled HTML bookmark.

What version of Firefox do you use? What platform? Such differences probably
matter. My bookmarks are being saved on a remote server every night so if
something disastrous happened (e.g. icons disappearing), I could restore it
fully.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com