Re: Plam OS and Windows Mobile

  • Subject: Re: Plam OS and Windows Mobile
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:02:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Arthur Hagen wrote:

> Mazin <mdepth@privacy.net> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Why do you prefer Palm OS to Windows Mobile?
>
> It can be summed up this way:
> With PalmOS, the device waits for the user.
> With WinCE, the user waits for the device.
>
> Tap-and-hold:  You wait.
> Word-based recognition:  You wait.
> Letting the device figure out whether you meant "-" or the first stroke
> in "+" or "=":  You wait.
> Animations:  You wait.

This is the common simplicity/minimalism versus flash situation. You must
understand that different users will run different application, for
different purposes, with different taste.

I practically use my Tungsten only as a diary and MP3 player. I lost
interest in all the fancy stuff 2 years when I realised that a Palm is not
yet a desktop. Certain things I want to do with large monitors and certain
things need to be 3 seconds away from actualising, preferably all booted up
in my pocket.

> This is important when you want to look up something quickly, which is
> one of the main reasons for getting a PDA in the first place.
> A 20 MHz PalmOS PDA is *much* snappier than a 400 MHz WinCE device for
> things like that.  It may run things a lot slower, but the GUI is
> designed for immediate response, and not for emulating a desktop OS.

More or less the equivalent of a Web server running KDE or a soda vending
machine running on a computer rather than an embedded circuit.

> (Unfortunately, PalmOS has screwed things up quite a bit lately, and
> adopted some of the shortcomings of WinCE.  Including having to wait for
> the device, with Graffiti 2, which uses multi-strokes.  Luckily, there's
> ways to get Graffiti back.)

They made a decent number mistakes apart from Graffiti 2.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com