Re: Inserting Lines into HTML Header

  • Subject: Re: Inserting Lines into HTML Header
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:26:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Barbara de Zoete hastily replied:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 06:27:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anybody recommend a simple program/script that will insert given
>> (input) lines to a HTML header? I need this to operate on a large number
>> of files, so, as a simplistic example, if I have N files containing:

>> <head>
>> </head>
>>
>> they should be converted into:

>> <head>
>> <title>My Title</title>
>> </head>
>
> A page title should be a _page_ title. I don't see how inserting one
> specific title into N pages is any good.
>
> Anyway, most good text editors will do this for you with a search and
> replace.

I stressed that it was "a simplistic example". It is the principle that I'm
after.

"Search and replace" in text editors won't do because I deal with many
files. If there exists a command-line tool that will add string X after a
regular expression Y is detected, _and_ apply this to /all/ files, then I'd
be a happy puppy. I am sure there is something out there already so I
decided to ask the gurus.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com