Re: Showing hidden answer when question clicked?

  • Subject: Re: Showing hidden answer when question clicked?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:41:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Nigel Molesworth <reply@thegroup.com> wrote:
>
>> I've Googled, but can't find what I need, perhaps I asking the
>> wrong question!
>
> Maybe people who asked or answered the same question also used the
>
> Actually, the question has been asked so often, and it's really not
> about HTML, so I composed a short answer and sent it by E-mail
> to the address in the From field of your message (it had a Reply-To
> field, but it was syntactically malformed).

Perhaps this was intentional?

> Okay, okay, I'm awfully nice today, so despite your destructive Usenet
> conduct I'll give a few more clues:
>
>> I want a "FAQ" page on a web site,
>
> Fine. Create it, using pure HTML, and if you want some extra sugar on
> it, ask in a suitable group (maybe comp.lang.javascript). Don't forget
> to post the URL.

JavaScript is probably on-topic here.

http://openrico.org/demos.page?demo=ricoAccordion.html

This is AJAX-based. You'll find plenty of nice widgets and effects there.

>> I hate those pages that scroll you to the answer
>
> If your personal dislikes matter that much, you are not prepared to
> become the author of a (useful) FAQ.

I actually agree with the OP. However, the advantage of non-hidden text is
that all content is searchable.

> Besides, use links, Luke. You can easily create a list of questions,
> making them links to answers, on the same page (with the questions
> repeated of course), or on separate pages (often a good idea if the
> answers are long, perhaps with illustrations etc.).

I totally agree that it's worthwhile if the answers are lengthy. A whole
page load for 1k of text is unnecessary. It's excessive fragmentation.

>> so and I figured that a good way to do it would
>> be to have hidden content under each question,
>
> That was a wrong idea.
>
>> What is the first letter of the alphabet?
>> [The first letter of the alphabet is "A"]
>
> In some cases, it might make sense to combine the simple, robust, and
> useful link idea with an advisory optional "quick answer" using the
> title attribute (or some JavaScript or "DHTML" technique). For example:

> <li><a href="first.html" title=
> "The first letter of the alphabet is &quot;A&quot;. It comes from..."
>>What is the first letter of the alphabet?</a></li>
>
> where first.html repeats the question and the short answer, then
> proceeds to explaining how "A" comes from Greek letter alpha, which in
> turn etc. etc.

Overall, one could go either way. It's rude to completely rule out somebody
else's incentives.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com