Re: Google Patent Reveals Secrets

  • Subject: Re: Google Patent Reveals Secrets
  • From: SEO Dave <seodave@search-engine-optimization-services.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:02:52 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:35:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>I suspect many of you will find an interest in this article, which was
>slashdotted hours ago: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-10-2005-71368.asp

Big error with the above article (which I didn't read past the
headings), these are patents not a list of what they are or might do
in the future.

So this-

"Google have recently filed a US patent which reveals a great deal of
how they rank your web site. Some of it you could never of guessed
at.."

Should be changed to-

"Google have recently filed a US patent which reveals a great deal of
how they MIGHT rank your web site NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. Some of it you
could never of guessed at.."

>[snip]
>
>...the majority of Spam websites only register a domain name for one year. A
>domain registered for a longer period implies that the owner is more likely
>to be legitimate and serious about their web site...

I wouldn't take everything patented as Google gospel as to what they
are or plan to do, though if something is easy to do and shouldn't
cause harm, consider doing it.

I now register new domains for 10 years at a time, it's not expensive
and doesn't hurt anything. My best traffic sites are not registered
years in advance though, so though I haven't got the experience yet
(recently started registering for years in advance) to say there's no
difference I'm not suffering significantly if there is.

>...Your link anchor text should vary but remain consistent with your site
>content. No more using your main keywords on every link exchange you gain.
>That's 'anchor Spam'. Instead vary them around your top five to ten
>keywords... (Bill, that's for you)
>
>[/snip]

This is something they do seem to use, unnatural linking patterns
might cause problems. It's a pain in the ass trying to link everything
together without making it look unnatural, especially when you have
hundreds of thousands of pages online! I've had to resort to random
link scripts so I don't have site wide links with identical anchor
text from 10,000+ page sites.

David
--
Free Search Engine Optimization Tutorial
http://www.seo-gold.com/tutorial/