Re: Upgraded Palm OS and lost contact categories

  • Subject: Re: Upgraded Palm OS and lost contact categories
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:32:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
captain.midnite@gmail.com wrote:

> I upgraded from v.4.1 to v.5, and all of my contacts are now listed as
> "unfiled".  I have a backup in v.4.1, but I'm afraid to sync and lose
> the categories from my back up.  Also, the backup on my laptop hasn't
> been updated in a couple of months.  So, if I sync with the option
> "Desktop overwrites handheld", I'm concerned that I'll lose the entries
> that are only on the Palm.  Any helpful suggestions?

What you ought to do whenever you fear loss of information is back up your
backups. If your username is <JohnSmith>, make a complete copy of your
profile directory (usually PATH/Palm/<JohnSmith>, but I am not sure about
Macs). Then, try applying the necessary changes by synchronising. If the
result is undesirable, you can overwrite your profile directory and make
sure that the desktop overwrites _all_. That's because your PDA may have
had a change in state.

Some features in OS 5 are inconsistent with OS 4. A safe way to make the
switch is to synchronise the new device with the old version of Palm
Desktop first. Don't upgrade Palm Desktop for a device that is not
compatible with it.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com