Re: I have sold my LifeDrive

  • Subject: Re: I have sold my LifeDrive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:55:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Jessie wrote:

> I just sold my LifeDrive after using it for 2 weeks.
> It is actually not a bad PDA but the following flaws made it not as usable
> as my Palm T5.
>
> (1) Bulky size
> It is a lot bulkier than my T5 and I cannot leave it comfortably in my
> trousers pocket or shirt pocket.
> There is no flip cover and therefore, I cannot carry it around freely
> without fear of damaging the machine.
> For someone used to bringing my PDA with me 24/7, this machine is simply
> to large.
>
> (2) Slowness in openning applications
> It takes 2 to 10 seconds to open applications and that is too slow for me
>
> (3) Slowness in resetting
> Soft reset takes 2 minutes. Hard reset takes 30 minutes. That's
> intolerable to me.
>
> (4) Switching it on or off takes time
> Switching on takes 1 second. Switching it off involves a 2 second wait.
>
> (5) The sound quality is not superb
> Really, the sound quality is pretty ordinary when compared to an iPod.
>
> All in all, the main merit of the LifeDrive when compared with the T5 is
> the 4G Hard Disc.
> If you have heavy multi-media use, this might worth the above
> shortcomings. To me, WiFi is not so useful simply because it is not widely
> available in where I live. Even when there is WiFi, I need to sign on and
> the cost works out similar to getting email through Bluetooth.
> OTherwise, T5 might be an easier option.

Thanks for outlining these flaws. I usually stay behind in the PDA world
(using a Tungsten T at the moment) and your summary makes me satisfied not
to have upgraded.

(1) is particularly important and it is the main pitfalls of the early
iPaqs. The difference between tablet PC's (or laptops) and PDA's is size
and some manufacturers forget why people get PDA's in the first place.

(2) depends on the size and type of applications. RealPlayer, for example,
takes me about a second to open.

(3) is extremely surprising to me. Is that at all /normal/? My Tungsten
takes about 5-7 seconds to reset. I removed all unnecessary software.

(4) will probably not be a crucial factor.

As for (5), an iPod is designed to be strong in the market as an MP3 player.
But then again, LifeDrive should have taken that direction as well because
of its capacity.

(6) -- WiFi -- I couldn't agree more. There are more connectivity points
being set up at present, but by the time good coverage is achieved, the
LifeDrive will be old-tech.