Re: Future palmOne devices will include 6-GB hard disk

  • Subject: Re: Future palmOne devices will include 6-GB hard disk
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:20:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Zombie Elvis wrote:

> Hello, mike !
> You wrote:
>>
>> check this out.... woohoo.... :)
>
> Check what out?

Yes, where is the source?

>> PalmOne Devices with 6GB Drives
>>
> Well, my LifeDrive already has 4GB. I assume that the LD2 will have more.
> Hopefully it will be out in six months with a 10GB model to follow in
> another six.

The growth in volume suggests much more than just a 50% increase. 10 GB
sounds much more plausible.

> But enough about hardware. PalmOne has some software tweaking to do:

Definitely. They seem to be making slow progress. In terms of software, very
few exciting things have come out ever since the Treo integration, if that
counts as software at all.

> Improved web and e-mail software. Blazer has annoying tendency to lose
> cookie information. Versamail sometimes crashes the LD while trying to
> retrieve e-mail in the background.
>
> Java conduit support. Yanoff and other apps use a java conduit for desktop
> synchronization. But the LD's (along with the T5, Treo 650, and TE2)
> version of the Palm Desktop don't work with these java conduits.
>
> More speed. Sharkcache allows you to preload apps into the LD's RAM for
> instant access. PalmOne should take this concept and use it to cache
> frequently used apps. It should also do a better job of caching MP3s to
> prevent skipping while the LD loads apps.

I have always failed to realise why Palm users put apps on the SD cards and
then complain about speed. It is the data that ought to go there, or
rarely-used apps. Maybe an app (Desktop- or Palm-side) ought to help users
decide where to ship apps and data, as a matter of principled optimisation.
However, I don't know if the LifeDrive has any internal memory apart from
the RAM and ROM which should be separate.

> A media app with built in support for MPEG4 (DiVX and XViD) video. TCPMP
> already does this; PalmOne should consider bundling it with future models.

Videos would be nice. They wouldn't appeal to me, but I know people who have
the lust for it.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com