Re: telemarketing vs. spam

  • Subject: Re: telemarketing vs. spam
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:07:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Viper wrote:

> el_roachmeister@yahoo.com wrote:
>> What is the telemarketing industry average conversion rates for sales
>> to calls? I think it is 8%?
>>
>> If someone is sending out unsolicited emails with higher conversion
>> rates would that break any anti-spam law?
>
> Why wouldnt it?

Who is to say that telemarketing is /morally/ legal? The authorities have
become more lenient about it because there is a person talking who is
involved -- someone who must make a living. I bet it started with
individuals who politely phoned before it became a heavy production line
and systematic industry where people are employed on a fixed rate (plus
bonuses).

With spam, on the other hand, whatever the conversion rates, only robots
(read: servers) are involved. Humans can never cope with the productivity
of robots. Imagine yourself the impact of spam becoming legal.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com