Re: Cannot Access Remotely

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu Linux on a new machine at work and I need to connect to it
> from another (SuSE) machine. According to the status below, I am denied
> access. I looked at many of the options in GNOME, but I could not find out
> how to make this machine accessible. Any help/pointers please?
>
> roy@BAINE:~> ssh -l roy woodward.mc.man.ac.uk
> 11566: ssh: connect to host woodward.mc.man.ac.uk port 22: Connection
> refused

It's almost certain that the problem is the firewall rules on the
destination box.

Check whether there is a firewall or iptables service and if there is
configure it to allow inbound connections to port 22 from the SuSE box you
are using.

This isn't a Gnome option as it's nothing to do with the GUI. I'm not
familiar with ubuntu so I cannot tell you the specific tool it supplies
(if any) for this.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £15.99 / month