Re: cannot start windows 98SE

  • Subject: Re: cannot start windows 98SE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:39:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
Groove wrote:

> SH said this...
>
>> When I attempt to startup, everything loads up OK until just before I
>> can use the start button. Then I get a blue screen: fatal exception
>> 0000:00010000, and that happens repeatedly.  I cannot start in safe mode
>> so I can system restore.  Please help.
>>

> Try a Restart holding down the ctrl key. From the menu that appears select
> command prompt only. At the prompt type scanreg /restore
> Using the arrow/enter keys select the latest backup. A properly working
> Registry has the word 'started' next to it. You should receive a message
> saying you have restored a good Registry or similar. Push enter-next
> prompt type exit

Also try scandisk. I have had many problems with Windows 98SE (I still do),
but everything was usually resolved in senseless yet simple ways.

98SE still fails to load about once a month. Every time this happens, I
(successfully) reboot into safe mode. This restores the Registry to a
working state. It has been a repeated issue for 2-3 years. I no longer use
Windows.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com