Re: knode - the floating windows disease

  • Subject: Re: knode - the floating windows disease
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:01:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I caught the floating windows disease yesterday -
> when the header and article windows become detached from the main window.
> This happens to me for no reason that I can see
> perhaps once or twice a year.
>
> As far as I could see, the secret of the solution in my case
> was to make all 3 windows small and non-overlapping.
> Then I was able to drag-and-drop the header window into the main window,
> and finally clicking on the "dock" icon in the article window
> brought that into its correct place.
>
> There are a few things about this which puzzle and annoy me.
>
> (1) Surely knode should have a _simple_ way of returning
> to the default state,
> which I assume is how 99% of knode users have it 99% of the time.
>
> (2) This problem should be mentioned in the knode FAQ
> (which is also part of the knode manual).
>
> (3) I was puzzled that I could not find in which file
> the settings were written.
> I had assumed it was my .kde/share/configs/knoderc ,
> but replacing that had no effect.
> I even ran strace but this did not show any relevant file.
>
> I wonder if I am alone in wishing the KDE people
> would write down somewhere exactly which files are used
> by the KDE system.
> I know this may differ according to the distribution -
> I am running Fedora-3 -
> but even so some indication would help.
>
> After all, giving information of this kind is one difference
> between Linux and Windows.

See the post from 16th of this month titled "Knode - 'fragmented views'. I
hope your news servers goes this far back. If not, use on-line archives. In
short, there is a known bug which KDE wrote about. There are odd
work-around solutions.

Also see the following thread:

http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/January_2005/msg00209.html

I had similar problem in January. Every time somebody brings it up, people
in this NG play about and get 'infected'.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com