Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking with Palm

  • Subject: Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking with Palm
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:10:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, uk.comp.sys.palmtops
Penster wrote:

> I need voice recognition software for my work. Up to now, I have been
> using a PC, but I see that Dragon Naturally Speaking has the ability to
> use the Palm as a digital dictation machine and for the audio file to be
> transferred and transcribed on a PC.

I did not know this was possible. This article caught my eye because running
Dragon on a PDA is laughable. Dragon is a notorious resource-demanding
application.

> Has anyone used this?
> Is it any good?

I have not tried this, but...

> Is the palm transcribing as accurate as the PC transcribing (very
> important)?

The only factor here is the quality of recording. In PC-side transcribing
there are many aspects to consider: microphone quality, baseline volume,
clarity of speech, adaptation to voice (as in the training stage), etc.

The built-in recording facility of a Palm aims to make data concise. Also, I
do not know much about the quality of the microphone.

Try this: in your practice or in the natural conditions where recording is
to take please, blurt out a few words while recording. Compare your ability
to understand the voice with that which you get on the PC. Also search the
Web to learn about other people's experiences.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com