Re: Tungsten T5 and Visual Basic

  • Subject: Re: Tungsten T5 and Visual Basic
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:26:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
gpl@fishcroft.ca wrote:

> We have a visual basic application that is for all practical purposes
> an mp3 player.  Management wants to be able to use the program on a
> wireless hand held.  It looks like they are going to go with the
> Tungsten T5, they are getting a deal on a bunch of them.  My question
> is can this hand held, in its shipped configuration,  run a visual
> basic program?  If not what are are options in regards to porting the
> application.

Somebody raised a similar question before. If you wanted to run a Visual
Basic program on a Palm, you will need to get the appropriate compiler.

Sadly enough, you might have to implement the compiler. Visual Basic is what
many consider to be a 'programming language', not a programming language.
It is Microsoft-centric and it is unlikely that Microsoft will assist their
competitor. I don't know if there is an option of converting to C++, then
to Palm executable, but it's worth checking.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com