Re: A list of directories posted here

  • Subject: Re: A list of directories posted here
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:12:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
mark | r wrote:

> Danniel - you ever lived in Southowram UK?
>
> Mark
>
> for the more seasoned hacks out there many of the directories below will
> be very familiar, but for the newbies here's a list of, on the most part,
> free to submit directories (posted 19thJuly http://www.seroundtable.com/)
>
> The list includes:
> http://www.dmoz.org/ (base page PR9)
> http://dir.yahoo.com/ (base page PR9)
> http://www.earthstation9.com (base page PR6, it uses frames, but it is SE
> friendly)
> http://www.geniusfind.com/ (base page PR6)
> http://www.re-quest.net/ (base PR6)
> http://www.qango.com/ (base page PR6)
> http://www.wowdirectory.com/ (base page PR6)
> http://www.directoryarchives.com/ (base page PR6)
> http://www.gimpsy.com/ (base page PR6)
> http://www.smartlinks.org (base PR5)
> http://www.josh.nu/ (base PR5)
> http://www.blakkat.com/ (base PR5)
> http://www.webworldindex.com/ (base page PR5)
> http://www.yeandi.com/ (base page PR5)
> http://www.turnpike.net/directory.phtml (base page PR5)
> http://www.websavvy.cc/ (base page PR5)
> http://www.webworldindex.com/ (base page PR5)
> http://www.worldwidewub.org/ (base page PR4)
> http://www.thedirectorysite.com/ (base page PR4)
> http://www.seekon.com/ (base page PR3)
>

> this one?
> "Daniel Ruscoe" <danruscoe@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does anybody remember the URL of a massive list of web directories that
>> was posted here some time ago?
>>
>> The directories were listed alphabetically and had their Google PR next
>> to them.
>>
>> I had it in my bookmarks but I've managed to loose it. Any help would be
>> fantastic.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan

Apart from DMOZ, I am not sure that any of them is of significance. Yahoo
have charged for inclusion for quite some time (I last checked 2 years ago)
and the rest are too weak to be worth the time investment.

What's more, I wanted to mention that Google exclude (or are about to
exclude) directories from their engine. Who knows if Yahoo and MSN will
soon follow. I find it hard to believe that more than a handful of people,
real people, will actually /follow/ links from these directories.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com