Re: WARNING: Windows Catches up with Linux (as of a Decade Ago)

  • Subject: Re: WARNING: Windows Catches up with Linux (as of a Decade Ago)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:59:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Jim Richardson] on Monday 31 October 2005 19:12 \__

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:46:42 -0600,
>  Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:49:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/windowsserver/archive/2005/10/28/413255.aspx
>>>
>>> "In Vista/Longhorn server, the file system (NTFS) will start supporting a
>>> new filesystem object (examples of existing filesystem objects are files,
>>> folders etc.). This new object is a symbolic link."
>>>
>>> Innovation. Just like Mr. Ballmer promised us!
>>
>> Why is it that so many Linux advocates seem to think everything in Unix
>> was invented in Linux?

What's your point? Did I mention Linux at all? I was talking about
/innovation/. Stay on topic.

>> Symbolic links predate Linux by at least a decade, so please don't go
>> being condescending about being innovative.
>
> Quit whining. You're just annoyed that Linux got there before MS. By
> what, 12 years?

Maybe longer? Same thing with chmod and superusers... Microsoft /pretend/
they don't need it, but sooner or later they cave.

Last year Ballmer said that RSS is nonesense and had no future. Oh, look...
IE7 supports RSS and Vista includes it at /kernel level/... oh! and one more
thing: they decided to 'extend' RSS. Once again: embrace, extend, and
extinguish.