Re: Free: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition

__/ [Linønut] on Wednesday 02 November 2005 17:07 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>>> Linux version available too.
>>> http://www.oracle.com/partners/develop/product/global/unauth/xe.html
>>
>> Thanks, but no thanks. We have MySQL (SCO) or PostgreSQL already.
>>
>> The  strategy  behind this revolves around lock-ins. You get hooked up  on
>> some  software  whose licence is limited to one CPU (according to  what  I
>> read  a  few days ago) and when you wish to extend, you're stuck.  Embrace
>> the users, let the user extend and then rob the user. For similar reasons,
>> Windows turned a blind eye to piracy in the late 80's and early 90's.
>>
>> This  moves shows that Oracle fear MySQL and PostgreSQL in my humble opin-
>> ion. Only a matter of time until Windows becomes free software while Offi-
>> ce is the new 'milking cow'?
>
> We'll turn Microsoft and Oracle into true service companies yet!

Services? Who needs that when the machines don't crash and don't require
maintenance like virus checks, filesystem integration checks, et cetera et
cetera? Besides, can we truly ever make Microsoft or Oracle our bitches and
let them support our software?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
  5:30pm  up 68 days 23:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.40, 0.27