Re: Palm Batteries and Class Action

  • Subject: Re: Palm Batteries and Class Action
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:28:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops
__/ [Dugie] on Thursday 03 November 2005 20:15 \__

> "Moonraker" <moonraker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I have a one-man service business.  Most of my inquiries come by
> telephone,
>> and are currently hand-written onto work orders and then manually
> scheduled
>> onto a monthly calendar.  We are talking about 2-3 service calls per day.
> <snip>
>
> If battery life is important, make sure you buy a PDA with either a good
> rechargeable battery, or one which uses AAAs alkaline.
> Believe it or not, my Palm TE's rechargeable Lith-Ion battery lasts about 4
> hours max between charges under normal use, compared to my older Palm
> m130's AAAs giving over a month's use.

My M130 served me for over 2 years without AAA batteries. Even after all this
time, I could use it for long hours without a recharge. It was a fairly good
model. The Tugsten's batteries are roughly on par with the batteries of the
M130.

> Roy Schestowitz's low end Zire suggestion is good.
> Also consider non-Palm PDAs, like Sony, Toshiba, etc. Palm has some quality
> control and operation problems. They also have class action suits now in
> process over these issues, rather than solving them by providing good
> customer service and replacing defective units.

I think that Palm have had decent models. Pretty much anyone could come under
pressure and hand in free replacement due to faulty capacitors. Palm are
(were?) simply the giant, so are most sensitive to class actions.

That aside, the difference between hardware (physical) and software
(metaphysical, duplicable) is that the former is replaceable. With
Microsoft's EULA, nobody can demand a replacement for a faulty operating
system, for instance.