Re: Signing posts to comp.os.linux.misc

  • Subject: Re: Signing posts to comp.os.linux.misc
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:14:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [Technomage Hawke] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 16:01 \__

> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>
>> Normally, I would not bother signing my posts to UseNet newsgroups.
>>
>> Someone proposed signing so that crackpots could not impersonate serious
>> posters. So I considered doing that.
>>
>> Then another poster got mad and demanded that posters sign inline.
>> I happen to use enigmail with ThunderBird to read and post to these
>> newsgroups. I made a signed post to nj.test and it does the signing
>> inline.
>>
>> But the mad poster also wanted X-header to tell key-id, etc., and I do not
>> know how to make enigmail do that.
>>
>> How do I make enigmail accept an X-header. It is very easy in mutt.

Funny that you mention it because I got my ID and PGP URL in the X-header and
I have no clue how. I use Enigmail with Thunderbird 1.x and I have just
spent 10 minutes in vain trying to find the appropriate input fields. I am
also led to believe there is a design bug. I'm sure I had more options in
the past and Enigmail is far from intuitive. In fact, it's rather fragmented
and confusing.

> well,
> key signing is generally not a bad idea. however, having all those public
> keys available so that everyone knows who everyone else is, thats a little
> more complicated.....

...I think it's utterly unnecessary too... *hides sig*

> there is also the unfortunate consequence that not everyone that posts here
> can cryptographically sign their messages (insufficient client
> capability)..
>
> Still, if it were up to me, I'd rather sign than not (I am going to have to
> set that up with this client in any case)
>
> so? how we going to pass around pub keys? post in here or via a
> standardized keyserver?
>
> TMH

I haven't seen cryptographically used for a genuine purpose in UseNet, yet.
Like a telephone number to E-commerce sites... it barely ever get used, but
still it is required.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
  5:05pm  up 5 days 13:03,  4 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.19, 0.18