Re: Palm TX compatibility with Linux usbserial module - kpilot

  • Subject: Re: Palm TX compatibility with Linux usbserial module - kpilot
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:00:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [neb9002@xxxxxxxxx] on Thursday 10 November 2005 17:52 \__

> Hello,
>
> Just got a Palm TX and I am facing problems to get it recognised by my
> Linux box ( Debian, 2.4.27-1-686) usbserial drivers.
>
> The message I am getting is:
>
> USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x830/0x61) is not claimed by any active
> driver.
>
> I have already checked that usbserial and visor modules are loaded and
> functional (no error messages in /var/log/messages, registration of
> visor module succesfull).
>
> Any clues/help will be appreciated
>
> ThanX
>
> H.

I suppose you have looked at the popular HOWTO already. If not, do so now as
it contains troubleshooting information:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html

In both SuSE and Ubuntu, the Palm was found among the USB ports (usually
/dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1) and could be synchronised just fine. I found
that in certain circumstances, the device gets locked by a process, e.g.
when trying to use pilot-link and KPilot runs already. In that case, log in
as root and chmod the device; it seems to have been helpful in the past.
Have you tried gpilot (/JPilot) yet? If you use Debian, this seems like a
more natural package to be using.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
  1:55pm  up 8 days  9:53,  5 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.19, 0.18