Re: SuSE Direction - Both KDE and GNOME

__/ [David Wright] on Friday 11 November 2005 09:07 \__

> BearItAll wrote:

>>> That's what I read from all the articles that appeared last week, sounds
>>> like a clarification of that situation, although heise does talk about a
>>> retreat, although the wording of the old situation is the same "Gnome as
>>> standard desktop instead of KDE." That means Gnome as *DEFUALT* not
>>> *ONLY*...
>>>
>>> Sounds like a clarification rather than change of stance to me.
>>>
>>> Dave

Yes, no change of stance was ever mentioned in my post. To me, concentration
on GNOME marks a significant change nontheless. I use GNOME sometimes, but
prefer KDE.

>> For us non-German speaking types, what did he give for the reason?
>
> After the outcry over Novell's plans to deliver Linux products in the
> future with Gnome instead of KDE as the standard desktop, Novell are making
> a careful retreat. Holger Dyroff, vice-president of Product Management for
> the Linux platform (with SuSE since 1993) explained Novell has "in
> discussion with its customers decided it will continue to offer Gnome as
> well as KDE in all products from Novell. Both GUI's will be developed and
> supported in the future.

I imagine that one will be supported more vigorously, so I am not too fond of
the sound of it. I'll take what I can get though...

> "The only change is that in all future products GNOME with be the
> standard," declared the bother from SuSE founder Roland Dryoff. A change to
> KDE is however simple. With the resignation of Hubert Mantel, another
> founder of SuSE, on Wednesday was also taken as a sign of the
> contradictions surrounding the current course for Linux at Novell.
>
> (rough translation)
>
> Dave

Thanks for the translation.