Re: Virus targeted at webmasters

  • Subject: Re: Virus targeted at webmasters
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:05:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Els] on Thursday 17 November 2005 09:13 \__

> Dylan Parry wrote:
>
>> As if the love poetry wasn't enough, Brian Wakem just had to say:
>>
>>> As more people are turning to alternative browsers now it may be of help
>>> for you to know this. I have enclosed a screen capture of the problem so
>>> your team can get it fixed if you deem it an issue.
>>

>> Heh! This paragraph would have made me giggle. I'd be *very* surprised
>> if someone found errors in Mozilla or Opera, but not at all if it were
>> IE causing them!
>>
>> The sentence "As more people are turning to alternative browsers" in
>> particular would have made me say something like "People? You mean folk
>> like me, who test *first* in such environments?"
>>
>>> As more people are turning to alternative browsers now it may be of help
>>> for you to know this. I have enclosed a screen capture of the problem so
>>> your team can get it fixed if you deem it an issue.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Attached is a zip file which contains a file called so.scr
>
> I think the writer of these emails is just targeting /all/ webmasters,
> cause it's too difficult to determine quickly which are clueless and
> which aren't :-)

Exactly. It's a brute-force approach and I bet that many still fall for it,
perhaps 10+ out of 10,000,000.

> Note to self: make sure my Dad doesn't put his e-mail address in plain
> sight on his brand new hobby site. ;-)

Interesting point. I put my parents behind a BoxTrapper because of malignant
exectubale spam. Sadly, many amateurs out there don't understand what it
means to reply to a verification E-mail, leaving the subject line in tact.
Eventually, my parents get E-mails at the end of the month when I check the
BoxTrapper moderation queue. All in all, they are better off.