Re: Google: Fiber, 5000 processors and 3.5 petabytes storage in one box

  • Subject: Re: Google: Fiber, 5000 processors and 3.5 petabytes storage in one box
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 03:45:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Gordon Hudson] on Sunday 20 November 2005 20:47 \__

>>I thought the following was quite interesting. If true, Google will be far
>> more capable of crawling more content.
>>

> I have seen some of Google's hardware.
> Motherboards mounted into racks with cable ties into "pizza shelf"
> brackets. No cases......

I guess fidelity is not an issue when data is easily recoverable
(refetchable, or datacentres redundancy). I once read that Intel's chips
cost $50 to make so these motherboard can probably be bought by the pound.

How do you know when a computer like that is running out of space? Would you
get an message saying "warning: your hard-drive is over 90% full. You have
only 350,000 gigabytes left"?