Re: Microsoft to give Office access to rivals

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft to give Office access to rivals
  • From: "Kleuskes & Moos" <kleuske@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 Nov 2005 00:49:27 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz schreef:

> __/ [Roy Culley] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 01:16 \__
>
> > <http://news.ft.com/cms/s/e9f5c0f8-5ab7-11da-8628-0000779e2340.html>
> >
> >     Microsoft will on Tuesday announce it is opening up access to its
> >     Office file formats to competitors, as part of a move to ensure
> >     the software giant does not lose lucrative government markets for
> >     its Office software.
>

> Well done, Massachusetts (said with caution). Once pressure was there, a
> practical threat was realised (taken with a grain of salt). As this devalues
> Office, we should be skeptic. Even if MS Office was made the most reliable
> among its equivalents, customers would be reluctant to buy it.
>

> >     The move will ensure that computer users will be able to open and
> >     work with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents without
> >     having to buy the Microsoft Office software to do so.
> >
> > Now if only I can believe them.
>

> Must be a publicity stunt.

I think it's fueld by the growing distaste of their closed formats
amongst corporate clients and legislative bodies around the world.
Along the lines of "If you can't beat them, join
them..."

> Some say that the XBox being lower in availability
> than demand is yet another case of publicity stunts. Marketing is
> Microsoft's best department, after all. Google's best department is probably
> recruitment and SCO wish they had good lawyers.
>
> Does anyone /TRULY/ think Microsoft does this to in order to be kind to the
> world? Companies have no feelings. They have investors.

Hence, no. I don't think this is M$ benevolance. They are forced to
open up their formats by the market. Corporate and institutional buyers
don't accept closed formats anymore.

Remember, after Munich, now Paris is going for OSS. There's a big
upheaval on open formats in Massachusets and it's only going to grow.
M$ feels the heat of the OSS movement.